Freeport Community Foundation
The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is a special project of the Freeport Community Foundation. The YAC is made up of 20 students (ages 14-20) who live in Freeport and the surrounding areas. Students may attend area high schools, Highland Community College or home school programs.
YAC members learn about philanthropy and leadership by attending monthly meetings that focus on the grant process- from the components of a good grant to reviewing and making recommendations to the Foundation’s Board of Directors on the distribution of grant awards to projects for youth. YAC members also learn how to raise funds for YAC and public relations skills.
Youth Advisory Council Grants are awarded to non-profit organizations that serve youth. All projects/programs awarded by this group must serve youth.
The following are the specific criteria for YAC grants:
· Organization must have 501(c)(3) status
· Programs/projects must focus on youth in Freeport or the surrounding communities
· Programs must demonstrate good management and quality
Grants will not be awarded for the following:
· Ongoing operating support
· Annual fund raising drives or fund raising expenses
· Grants to individuals, fraternal organizations, bands or booster clubs
· Religious purposes
Grantees should utilize the Foundation’s YAC Grant or YAC mini-grant application. These applications may be downloaded and are found in the Grants section of this website or by clicking here.